Monday, January 17, 2005

1 Bicycle, 2 bicycle, Red Bycycle, Blue Bycicle

I rode to the store this afternoon. Not far. Round trip, 3/4 of a mile or so. I rode my "New-Old" bike. A 70' era "Centurion: LeMans." My folks found it for a steal at a thift shop. I'd been looking for a road bike on the cheap to ride during the week. The mountain bike (An 04 Trek 6700 Disc) is a fine bike, but it never felt right on the pavement. I had to peddle much harder to make it half as far. With the huge knobby tires it just didn't roll well on pavement. You could hear that tractor tire hum when I got going fast. The Centurion is a little small for me, but it will do for now. I need to take the hubs and bottom bracket apart and clean and grease the bearings. I suspect they haven’t been taken apart since they were manufactured. I can imagine the grease has glazed with age by now and I'll need some solvent to get everything shiny. If it is I'm just going to buy new bearing, they are to cheap to spent the effort cleaning and likely pitted any way. Looks like the weather is going to be good for a while. Maybe the trails will be dry enough to ride this weekend (Or at the very least dry enough that I can carry the bike over the boggy bits to prevent erosion with out walking the entire time). I should go for a ride after work tomorrow. I'll do the 5 mile loop I think. I just transferred the lights over to the Centurion, since it’ll be starting to get dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home